To keep track of day-to-day business transactions, QuickBooks is used. Tracking expenses and managing sales are included in this process. This program allows a business accounts department to generate specific reports with ease, which is useful for tax planning and filing. Every type of business can benefit from QuickBooks’ multiple solutions, regardless of their size or volume. Intuit has been in the industry for more than two decades with this flagship product.
Despite its impressive feature set, QuickBooks isn’t impenetrable. It is possible for some of the nastiest errors to find their way into the defenses of the desktop accounting application and halt its normal operation. Let’s look at the QuickBooks Abort Error as an example.
- 1 What is QuickBooks Abort Error?
- 2 Why does QuickBooks give an Abort Error?
- 3 Solutions to fix QuickBooks Abort Error
What is QuickBooks Abort Error?
If QuickBooks crashes during the save process or any changes are made to the company files, it will abort. By restarting the software, the user can abort the ongoing transaction and resume it. The QBWUSER.ini file is damaged in such an occurrence, resulting in frequent crashes as QuickBooks keeps aborting.
Why does QuickBooks give an Abort Error?
The quickbooks abort error can be caused by a number of factors:
- Damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI files, hardware issues, or a damaged Windows installation.
- You have a firewall and antivirus software installed in your system that interferes with QuickBooks processes, causing QuickBooks to abort its current task.
- In a multi-user environment, different versions of QuickBooks conflict.
- The QuickBooks company file is hosted on multiple computers.
- When the company files are being saved, the computer is in sleep or hibernation mode.
- The flow of data between devices storing the files is disrupted. When files are saved and stored on different devices while your computer is connected to a network, this happens.
We will now discuss some common fixes for the abort error in QuickBooks.
Solutions to fix QuickBooks Abort Error
Solution 1: Turn off your antivirus application and Windows Firewall
Because antivirus software and Windows Firewall are designed to block security threats, they can sometimes prevent certain programs from running on your system. QuickBooks may keep aborting as a result of this. Therefore, you must disable your Windows Local Firewall and install Antivirus so that updates and other information shared by Intuit for QuickBooks can download automatically. Restarting the local machine after making this change will allow the changes to take effect. Contact your antivirus software provider if you are unable to do so. Depending on your system, they may be able to provide you with possible steps to allow QuickBooks to run.
Solution 2: Rename the QBWUSER.ini file on your system
If the user is unable to open a company file on the network, this method should be used.
- Locate the folder where QBWUSER.ini is located. The file should be located at \Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- The file or folder is hidden if you can’t find it. Now that the hidden files are enabled, you can see the file.
- Right-click the file or folder and select Rename.
- Add something like .old to the end of the file name. You should see something like “QBWUSER.ini.old”.
- Additionally, rename Entitlement Data Store.ecml to Entitlement Data Store.ecml.
- Open a sample company file after changing the names of the above-mentioned files. You can copy and paste this sample file to another local folder if you are unable to open it.
Solution 3: Restoring QuickBooks from a backup
If none of the above steps work, restore QuickBooks from your system’s backup. Create an Admin user for your Windows while you’re at it. In most cases, this will resolve the root cause of the ‘QuickBooks aborts’ error. However, if you are still experiencing this error, use the automated QuickBooks recovery tool listed below as soon as possible.
Solution 4: Install and run QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
Install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool. It identifies and fixes problems with faulty Windows components. Install and run the tool once it has been downloaded. Launch the QuickBooks desktop application after restarting your computer. Most users would be able to fix the problem by doing this. If not, then follow the next step.
Solution 5: Use Stellar Repair to fix QuickBooks problems
If none of the above-mentioned techniques work and QuickBooks keeps aborting, try Stellar Repair for QuickBooks Software. Using the most advanced scanning and repair techniques, this professional product eliminates all error-causing issues and restores your application to its former glory.